Sunday, April 24, 2011

Postcard Christianity

In the preferences section of my Postcrossing.com profile, I write that I like postcards that are a "little weird," but that any card sent to me will be welcome. Last week's mail brought two very different postcards from Postcrossers.
  
The first postcard, from Poland, was a typical "cute animal" card:
The second postcard, from Germany, definitely fell into the "weird" category:
Here's what was written on the back:
"My name is Benjamin.  I live in Hamburg, Germany. 
I like sports and tattoos.  The name of the card is Jesus Spits on Child Abusers.  Happy Postcrossing!"

If you look closely, you'll see that this Jesus is actually spitting on the priest.  For several minutes, I just stared at the postcard, thinking "Well, I asked for weird, and I got it!"  

While I certainly am not a defender of child abusers, I did wonder if Jesus really would have put aside his "turn the other cheek" philosophy in favor of hacking a lugie on the pervert.  This is rather different Christian behavior than I was previously acquainted with, and I found it thought-provoking.  What happened to "hate the sin, love the sinner?"

When I registered the postcard on the Postcrossing website, I discovered that Benjamin's screen name is "Pukemuckl."  Seems fitting, somehow.

In spite of the above (or because of it), if you're interested in joining Postcrossing, see  
http://myturntodayyourstomorrow-cheryl.blogspot.com/2010/07/postcrossing.html for more information about Postcrossing.com.



2 comments:

  1. This card is very moving, and although not my preference in art, it sends a powerful message! I wonder where he purchased it? I rather doubt that we would find a card such as this in a U.S. retail shop.

    In addition, although we can see that the priest has the boy's hair in his left hand, I wonder what he is holding in his right hand?

    Thank you for sharing! Very gut wrenching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb--I think he's got another victim by the hair.

    ReplyDelete