Sunday, May 8, 2011

You Do Not Have to Be Your Mother

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE YOUR MOTHER unless she is who you want to be. You do not have to be your mother's mother or your mother's mother's mother or even your grandmother's mother on your father's side.
You may inherit their chins or their hips or their eyes, but you are not destined to become the women who came before you. You are not destined to live their lives.
So, if you inherit something, inherit their strength. If you inherit something, inherit their resilience, because the only person you are destined to become is the person YOU DECIDE to be. 
Twenty years ago, I opened an issue of People Magazine and found this Nike advertisement. I was struck not only by the message (quoted above), but also by the similarity of the ad's photo to one in my family photo album.


This post is for all the women who have decided 
to be--or not to be--their mothers.


Photos:
Top: Nike ad, People Magazine, 10-21-91
Middle: My mother's mother's mother
Bottom: Cheryl and Ruth

3 comments:

  1. I love this quote! This quote is always a great reminder for me...
    Thanks for also sharing your lovely family photographs. The top photograph is very similar to yours and Gram's photo...I have to admit, I thought it was one of your families' old photos! hehe :)
    Great Post!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just showed Holly your post. We think the picture of you and Grandma would have been a way better photo for the Nike ad, coz you both are happy plus, can see your shoes. Jeez, those could easily pass for Nikes that grandma is wearing.
    hugs - M and H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless my memory fails me, my mother didn't have one huge right foot. She appears to be wearing some kind of padded bedroom slipper.
    When I posted that, I was sort of shocked to realize that I'd been carting it around in a file for 20 years. Uh. I guess I shouldn't be quite so shocked. Some of the clothing in my closet (that I still wear) is 20 years old. Egad. I'm a dinosaur.

    ReplyDelete