Sunday, July 10, 2011

Match Game

Minka says, "It's Match Time!"

Last summer, when I visited my grandson and his wife, I offered to help out with the household chores by doing some laundry. When I remarked that there was an unusually large number of socks in the wash, they assured me that I was merely glimpsing the tip of the iceberg, or I should say, the"sockberg."
When I expressed skepticism, I was presented with bag after bag of accumulated socks, all awaiting mates. I accepted the challenge and paired hundreds of socks, and now, a year later, the scope and intensity of the Sock Match Game has become a running joke in our family.
I should also mention that my grandson and his wife are cat lovers who have rescued and arranged adoptions for numerous feral and domestic cats in their town.
Circle of Cats 
[Clockwise from left: Todd, Mia, Marco, & Minka]

This summer, I returned for a sock rematch (pun intended) and decided that a tutorial for novice sock matchers might be in order. The cats were only too happy to assist with the photos.

STEP 1: Identify the difference between a pile of socks and a pile of cats, and know which pile you're about to tackle.
Pile of Socks
Pile of Cats

STEP 2: Know the basics of making a correct match. Don't be fooled by colors that match, but shapes that do not.
Example: Although item #1 (top) contains the same colors as items #2 & #3, it is not a match for either one.

STEP 3: Even when it seems that you have a match, look closely to detect slight differences. 
Not a Match
Still Not a Match
Still Not a Match
 
Yay!  A Match!
Following these three simple steps will yield your own corectly-matched pile of cats . . . er, I mean socks.


1 comment:

  1. in our house we have what we call
    "Sock-apolooza" about once a year when the sock bag gets spread all over the living room and we try to match mates.
    otherwise, we just wear mismatches, and no one seems to care!

    ReplyDelete